This post was compiled on 6/29/09 however not uploaded due to no internet access in addition to this past week being an absolute whirlwind.
Here is the email I sent out last weekend:
**
Hello everyone!
I am finally starting to get settled here and wanted to drop a line so you know how much you are missed. I am still very disorganized and Internet is touch and go, so please forward on to those I've missed.
Because typing on my I phone is tough for me, I have to keep this short. In summary, Thumbsy got laid off on Monday at the end of the work day. We were scheduled to fly out of Reagen airport at 7am the next morning. He packed about a week's worth of clothes and we continued with our plans. On the flight down we happened to be sitting next to man who was working on a S--- document on his laptop. That is a prominent water treatment design company in St Thomas that Thumbs and I had researched online when looking for a job for him. This man asked for Tim's resume to forward. He cc'd us on an email that he sent to the COO and the VP of engineering. He also turned out to be the cofounder of the company. Tim cancelled his return flight. He said there's no reason to go back home unless he has a job interview.
Wednesday we looked at apartments and Thursday morning we moved my stuff in. It's a studio apartment in an area where a lot if seasonal workers live so hopefully I can make some friends. I'm attaching a picture of the view from my balcony (if I can figure this thing out.). Otherwise, if I ask Nora really, really, nicely, maybe she can forward it.
Yesterday we camped overnight on the beach. Thumbsy got down on one knee and gave me a ring. We plan to have a long engagement considering everything else we have going on!
Miss everyone,
Cat
**
For those of you who mistakenly are under the impression that I have simple obscene dumb luck to have my life turn out so well, let me remind you that the story is not over. Thumbsy remains unemployed (though with some prospects now) and tethered down to a mortgage that I can’t afford alone. In addition, I have absolutely not forgotten what it feels like to be rock-bottom low, kicked to the curb while my self esteem is simultaneously disemboweled. Life dealt me some lemons the last time I moved. As I struggled to concoct the proverbial lemonade, it felt as though I was actually left to rip the fruit open with my fingers and that somebody had replaced the sugar with the salt. All the while I knew that I was becoming a “better” person and that “this would all work out in the end,” based on what others repeatedly told me. Truthfully, I did know these things despite the hardship, but the lesson learned is that there is dumb luck but there is also good karma and the calloused bravery that knows that one has dealt with worse than this before.
Of course, a college degree, transferable skills and an unconditionally supportive family (though thousands of miles away) doesn’t hurt either when one is making a dramatic career move…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.