Preface: I began this blog prior to leaving Charlottesville for the purpose of being able to reflect on my personal growth during the adventure of moving to an island in the Caribbean. One of the first areas for growth I experienced was not having internet at home and my blog went by the wayside shortly after. Two years later, I have found that the stories are too quirky to keep to myself and too numerous to retell over and over, so I am giving this a second shot. Now I know this isn't on par with those of you who blog about real news, such as babies, illnesses and the like, but if you find yourself bored stiff in a meeting at work and want a distraction, I invite you to read about my mundane life.
It is socially acceptable in the Virgin Islands to critique someone else’s appearance whereas in the States it is generally considered rude to point out the flaws in others. While I am cognizant that I am the outsider and should make every attempt to “do as the Romans do” I find it challenging to be thankful when someone points out my mustache, “big hairy eyebrows” or their disagreement with my choice of attire. I believe that they feel that they are being helpful, as if one doesn’t know one’s own opportunities for improvement. I, however, find this unnecessary as unless I have food in my teeth or my skirt stuck in my panties I am usually my own harshest critic to the point of paranoia.
This week my officemate told me of a recent encounter with the overly helpful coworker. It went a little something like this:
P: You’ve gained weight.
D: Yes, I suppose I may have gained a little.
P: Oh, so you already knew. Well, don’t let it get to be too much.
The reader should consider that I was not even able to tell that any weight gain had occurred, let alone enough to necessitate the concern of others.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.